Thursday, May 6, 2010

Mr J has sent you a message:

DUE TO ISSUES WITH PHOTOBUCKET ALL OF MY CONTENT, PICS & OTHER BLOG POSTS HAVE BEEN MOVED TO journalofmicrotom.blogspot.com. PLEASE GO TO MY OTHER SITE TO SEE ALL PICS.


Mr J has sent you a message:

Seapearl 21

I really liked your videos. I have been shopping for a small trailerable sail boat for my family. My wife and I and two children 4 and 2. I have been looking at Com Pac Cat Boats but the Sea Pearl intrigues me. It seems to have good speed and fairly simple to set up and sail. Do you think it is a nice boat to take the family around the spoil islands of the Gulf? Do you think it is big enough for the four of us?

Thanks for your response



-----------------------------------

Mr J,

The Sea Pearl 21 does seem fast for a boat its size and configuration. From the moment I first sailed it I enjoyed the performance. Its also extremely easy to set up. I estimate that I setup and launch in about 15 minutes. No stays and shrouds. Plus reefing goose necks is a wonderful thing. It really has a clean look and ease of use.

Based upon my current sailing ability, which is limited, the boat is too tippy for a 2 and 4 year old. Some of the speed of the SP21 has to be due to the long narrow design. If you look at one from the bow or stern you will see that its much narrower at the water line than it is at the top of the gunnel. If you move away from the center line and the boat is not under sail power then it will rock quite a bit. It can be a little frightening for my wife and kids because they have no sailing experience. I will also say that if you have two experienced sailors on the boat and can work as a team then you will not have as much problems with the tippyness.

The best advice I can give is go for a test ride. Time on the different boats will be your best help when deciding which one is right for you.

Good Luck!

1 comment:

  1. One thought about tippyness. Newer Sea Pearls come with water ballast. That would make a big difference if you are looking to get the most comfort and stability out of a Sea Pearl 21.

    ReplyDelete