Friday, August 13, 2010

I have named my boat Endurance

DUE TO ISSUES WITH PHOTOBUCKET ALL OF MY CONTENT, PICS OTHER BLOG POSTS HAVE BEEN MOVED TO journalofmicrotom.blogspot.com. PLEASE GO TO MY OTHER SITE TO SEE ALL PICS.

I also ordered the graphics.



I did a little checking and I didn't find Endurance being used on a previous Sea Pearl. I like names with multiple references. Reasons for the name:

1. Simplicity in case of emergency communications on a marine radio
2. Clean and Positive
3. Past personal athletics
4. My interest in doing longer distances sailing
5. My adventures relative to the other people in my own life. I frequently do trips beyond what most want to attempt.
6. The boat is 25 years old and I keep getting comments that its in amazing shape. While I know there are some minor issues I have to agree. Sea Pearls are exceptionally well built boats.
7. Shackleton reference where they sailed out of Antartica and some came back on a lifeboat loosely similar to a sea pearl. There were 3 lifeboats on the Endurance. The paragraph below from Wikipedia is about the most famous one.


"Of the three boats, Shackleton selected the heaviest and strongest, the James Caird, The 22.5-foot (6.9 m) long James Caird had been built as a whaleboat in London to Worsley's orders, designed on the "double-ended" principle devised by Norwegian shipbuilder Colin Archer. Shackleton asked the expedition's carpenter, Harry McNish, if he could make the vessel more seaworthy. McNish, with improvised tools and materials, immediately set about adapting the boat, raising its sides and building a makeshift deck of wood and canvas, sealing the work with oil paints, lamp wick, and seal blood. The craft was further strengthened by having the mast of the Dudley Docker lashed inside, along the length of her keel. She was then fitted with a mainmast and a mizzenmast, rigged to carry lugsails and a jib. The weight of the boat was increased by the addition of approximately 1 long ton (1,016 kg) of ballast, to lessen the risk of capsizing in the high seas that Shackleton knew would be encountered."

No comments:

Post a Comment