Wednesday, June 9, 2010

LMSA - Rum Race

DUE TO ISSUES WITH PHOTOBUCKET ALL OF MY CONTENT, PICS OTHER BLOG POSTS HAVE BEEN MOVED TO journalofmicrotom.blogspot.com. PLEASE GO TO MY OTHER SITE TO SEE ALL PICS.

Went to the Lake Monroe Sailing Association's Wednesday night rum race today. Winds were about 10-12 MPH out of the east. I was the only Sea Pearl 21 out there. Most were 23 - 27 cruiser class boats. The boat with the best corrected time was a Precision 23 named Show Me. Their corrected time was around 42 minutes and my time was around 53:00. I was 5th out of 7 boats that sailed the course. Not bad for my first race. I know of several places that I can make up significant time.

The goal is not to become a racer. These are shake down cruises and an opportunity to learn how to sail better. For example the downwind leg today was just slightly starboard where I didn't feel comfortable going wing on wing. I found out after the race Show Me did go wing on wing. If I would have had gps coordinates for the mark and known what point on the compass to sail I might have tried it. I also learned the heading for coming back to the start so I will hopefully minimize my tacks next time. Figuring out how high I can point with the Sea Pearl and maintain optimal speed is also a learning process.

So any other Orlando Sea Pearls want to come sail Lake Monroe on Wednesday nights? A link to the LMSA site is on the right of this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment