Friday, September 10, 2010

St Johns Trip - Update 4

DUE TO ISSUES WITH PHOTOBUCKET ALL OF MY CONTENT, PICS OTHER BLOG POSTS HAVE BEEN MOVED TO journalofmicrotom.blogspot.com. PLEASE GO TO MY OTHER SITE TO SEE ALL PICS..

Its a day late but here it is. I tried to post last night but there were several things working against us. First was destination. We didn't set anchor until around 10 PM. Then there was the humidity and my need to try yet another sleeping arrangement on the Sea Pearl that just didn't work out. And finally I couldn't get Internet access on the river for some reason.

So back to yesterday. We had a relaxing night at Hontoon Island. This time no blind mosquito/midge hatch and no rain. Finally a good nights sleep. The sunrise made for some nice pics but we were off early trying to reach Deleon Springs before the rain threatened again. Arriving at the 44 bridge mean our first draw bridge opening. This being my first sailboat it was as cool experience. (forgive the dork moment).

Sunrise tided up at the docks at Hontoon Island.
SR 44 bridge opening for two Sea Pearl 21 sailboats.

With our destination being Deleon Springs we left the St Johns for Norris Dead River. The entrance was the tightest part and other than a couple of slight turns here and there it was no problem for the Sea Pearls with masts up. Great short cut if you want to visit Lake Woodruff and Deleon Springs. The biggest disappointment was the lack of wind (again) as we crossed another lake.

Entrance to Harris Dead River.
Take this waterway to another fish camp.
Lake Woodruff. No wind (again)

Even with no wind we made amazing time getting to Deleon Springs. I am so impressed with how much you can do with a 2 HP motor. We arrived at our furthest north destination at about 11:30 AM. Our total distance so far, 135 miles in 3 1/2 days.

The plan was to swim and eat. I brought my free diving gear and checked out the spring. I was stunned to find that Deleon Springs is a pipe feeding an artificial pool. Still it was a very refreshing swim. One that I had been looking forward to since the begining of the trip.After that we headed to the Old Spanish Sugar Mill which is now the "Grill and Griddle House". I thought I was going to have lunch but after seeing that you cook your own pancakes right at the table I was easily talked into giving it a taste. I have to say their multi-grain batter was darn good. I am not a big pan cake eater. I walked out stuffed and with a big smile on my face.

Od Florida private properties just before Deleon Springs.

Arriving at our final destination. We were the only boats.
Pulling into the dock.
Huge swimming area. Nice cold water too.
Brunch spot.
Tom and Johnathan enjoying pancakes.

By mid afternoon it was time to move on. This time we were headed back up river. Instead of backtracking right away we went towards Tick Island Mud Lake and out to the St Johns. As we went over the small lake our motors stirred up the bottom releasing tons of bubbles. Below is a shot where I pulled in front of  Johnathan and yelled, smell my swamp gas. Next is passing through a narrow creek before coming back out on the St Johns. 

Swamp Gas Bubbles

With mast up we could usually find each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment