Sunday, September 5, 2010

Time to Start Packing



DUE TO ISSUES WITH PHOTOBUCKET ALL OF MY CONTENT, PICS OTHER BLOG POSTS HAVE BEEN MOVED TO journalofmicrotom.blogspot.com. PLEASE GO TO MY OTHER SITE TO SEE ALL PICS.

Its time to start preparing for a 4 night camping trip. I just finished my new deck. It has several purposes. First is a strong watertight deck that will keep more water out than the canvas cover while also being able to walk on it. Second is a as a place for to sleep above deck. The hatch lid is built slightly larger than the actual opening to fit a one man tent. I have about $200 in material and about 20 hours invested so hopefully it will hold up to my abuse.

I still have a couple minor projects still to finish. First is to get the PVC that is raising the Bulwinkles (ears on top of posts) that hold masts to stay there with out falling over. I am having trouble finding the right material or making something fit. The mast tubes are schedule 40 PVC and the inside diameter is about 2 3/4 inches. I can not find an off the shelf product that fits so I may have make some sort of spacer rings.

Other stuff
- Oar Holders
- Route My Solar Panel
- Fix a Couple Canvas Snaps

Then I still have to shop for food and pack. One thing I am kind of excited about is the amount of room. So far the biggest boat I have taken camping is a Gheenoe which is a little larger than a canoe. I love my Gheenoes (1,2,3,4) and the places it gets me but the biggest difference is that I will sleeping aboard the the Sea Pearl and the amount of storage below deck. Especially since I don't have water blasts.

Look for my link on the top right of this page called SPOT Satellite Personal Tracker. You will be able too watch our progress live starting around 10 AM tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Tom... Great job today!
    DJ and I had been following your progress this morning and decided to meet you at the Route 50 bridge and bring you guys some ice water and cold beer. It looked like you wouldn't be there until about 2pm, so we arranged to be there by 1:45. Unfortunately you beat us by about 10 minutes and had disappeared into the marshlands. And we NEVER thought you would make it to Route 46 today! Our plan for tomorrow morning was to bring you some hot coffee and egg McMuffins at the Route 46 bridge!
    You sure have anchored in bugland tonight! I hear that smearing motor oil on you will keep them away...urine might also work...or is that for bears? Anyway, if you see some headlights about 0630 and someone calling "AHOY SEA PEARLS!" you will know who it will be.
    I'm off to South Carolina tomorrow morning, so I won't be able to great you at Lake Monroe. You guys are awesome...great job!

    ReplyDelete